Places at the Prep School are free and available via the Northampton County Council.
The online application system is now available for school applications. A copy of our admissions policy can be found below.
If you would like to find out more about applying for a school place, please contact the school office:
Telephone: 01604 931130
For admissions at any other year group, you may contact the academy directly.
When there are more applicants for places than there are places available, priority will be given in the following order:
- Children in public care.
- Children previously in public care.
- Children with specific medical and social needs, supported by written evidence from an appropriate professional person.
- Those expressing a preference for admission under Faith grounds (up to 50% of remaining places)
- Pupils with an older brother or sister continuing at the school at the same time of admission of the younger child.
- Other pupils (see the admission policy for details).
Joining Malcolm Arnold Prep School
If you are interested in your child joining Malcolm Arnold Prep School then you are very welcome to make an appointment to one of our open days (please contact the School office for further information), look around the school and discuss your child’s needs.
If your child is joining us at another time other than at the start of their schooling, they may benefit from spending time in their new classroom before the date of entry so that they can get to know their classmates and their new teacher. We will do our best to make sure that your child’s transition into school is as smooth as possible.
Starting School for the first time
In order to make this important step as easy and enjoyable as possible for both parents and child, we organise the following:
- A parents’ information meeting in the summer term before your child is due to start school. This gives you a chance to meet the Head Teacher, the class teachers and support staff.
- A visit to the Reception classroom to have a look around with your child (Stay and Play)
- A further visit where your child is able to stay on their own
- A home visit by the Early Years staff, before your child starts school
If you would like to apply for a place for your child at Malcolm Arnold Prep School, please follow the link below:
Selection and Oversubscription Criteria
Places will be allocated to pupils who have a statement of SEN that names the school as appropriate provision.
When there are more applications for places than there are places available, priority will be given in the following order:
1) Looked after children and all previously looked after children, including those children who appear to have been in state care outside of England and ceased to be in state care as a result of being adopted.
2) Children with a social or medical reason. Applications must be supported by written evidence from a professional such as a doctor or social worker involved in the case and must demonstrate why only this school can meet the needs of the child. Written evidence should be submitted directly to Malcolm Arnold Preparatory School by 15 January.
3) Up to 50% of the remaining places allocated to those expressing a preference for admission under Faith Grounds, such places being awarded using the following sub-criteria in descending order: (i) Applicants who have demonstrated the required religious3 allegiance (as certified in a satisfactorily completed Supplementary Information Form) to the Church of England or any church that is a member of Churches Together in England. The member churches are listed on www.churches- together.net . (ii) Applicants who have demonstrated the required religious allegiance (as certified in a satisfactorily completed Supplementary Information Form) to another faith, which is represented on the Interfaith Network for the UK. The faiths represented by the Interfaith Network UK can be found on www.interfaith.org.uk/.
4) Siblings of children who will still be attending either Malcolm Arnold Preparatory School or our sister school Malcolm Arnold Academy in the academic year of admission. Sibling is defined in these arrangements as children who live as brother or sister in the same house, including natural brothers or sisters, adopted siblings, stepbrothers or sisters and foster brothers and sisters. NOTE: A brother or sister must be living at the same address when the application is made.
5) Children of all staff groups in either or both of the following circumstances: (i) Where the member of staff has been employed at Malcolm Arnold Preparatory School on a permanent contract for two or more years at the time at which the application for admission to Malcolm Arnold Preparatory School is made; or (ii) Where the member of staff is recruited to fill a vacant post at Malcolm Arnold Preparatory School for which there is a demonstrable skill shortage.
6) Other children.
If the admission number is exceeded within criterion (iii) priority will be given to those who live furthest from the nearest alternative school. If the admission number is exceeded within any other criterion priority will be given to those who live closest to the school.
If your child’s application for a place at the school is unsuccessful, you will be informed why admission was refused and given information about the process for hearing appeals. If you wish to appeal, you must set out the grounds for your appeal in writing. You are required to fill out an appeals form, details of which can be found on the West Northamptonshire Council website.
You can find details of the form and the appeals timetable on the following webpage: