For 2019-2020, we have twelve classes: the Robins and Sparrows in Reception; the Squirrels and Hedgehogs in Year One; the Foxes and Badgers in Year Two; the Lions and Tigers in Year Three; the Leopards and Panthers in Year Four and the Seals and Penguins in Year Five. Next year (2020-2021), we will have two classes in every year group from Reception to Year Six and will be a full school having grown organically since opening in 2014.
Reception children follow the Early Years Foundation Stage curriculum. Year One to Five children follow the National Curriculum, supported by Read, Write, Inc, Talk for Reading, Talk for Writing, Effective Maths and the Core Knowledge Curriculum. Subjects are taught discretely, but each term follows an overarching theme.
As part of the Malcolm Arnold Academy campus, we have access to the specialist facilities and teaching in music, sports and the arts at MAA. We offer a wide range of co-curricular opportunities - see the enrichment tab for more information.
A ‘typical’ day at MAPS
· School starts (8.30am)
· Gates close & Registration (8:40am)
· Read, write, Inc phonics (KS1) or Talk for Reading (KS2)
· Talk for Writing
· Playtime (10.35am-10.50am)
· Mastery Maths
· Lunch & play
· Curriculum subjects, to include PE
· Home-time (3.30pm)
· In Reception, the children complete taught sessions as well as independent learning times which secure the skills and learning they are focusing on for that week.